Instant Desiccated Coconut Barfi is a quick and easy sweet that can be made in 10 minutes with just 3 main ingredients. Perfect for festivals, parties, or as an edible gift.
What is Barfi or Burfi?
Burfi or barfi is a milk-based sweet from the Indian subcontinent. It has a fudge-like consistency. Traditionally it is made with reducing milk and adding sugar in it. Nuts, flavorings, and many different ingredients are added to make different types of barfees.
Why Instant Burfi
This Desiccated Coconut burfi can be made Instant or in the traditional way. Today I am making it the instant way as at times we really need something quick or Instant when things are unplanned or in today’s busy times.
Instant condensed milk Barfi
For me, this Instant version is my go-to recipe, or this Microwave Caramel Coconut milk powder peda. When I am busy and have less time I prepare either of these for festives or for quick prasad or gifts.
My mother makes the barfi the traditional way, with mawa, coconut powder, and sugar syrup, and it is lip-smacking and delicious. I hope I will make it one day and post the recipe. Need to know how to make mawa using milk powder, check out this post on Easy Milk powder Chocolate ladoo or Modak.
Shelf life of Instant Desiccated Coconut Barfi
Keep the burfi refrigerated as this has milk in it.
Instant Desiccated Coconut Barfi
- 300 gm Desiccated coconut
- 1 tin 400 gm Sweetened Condensed milk
- 100 gm Cashews Kaju chopped
- 1 tablespoon of pistachio/other nuts chopped Optional – Just added for additional color and texture
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachio for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon of Clarified Butter/Ghee for greasing Optional – one can line a tray with parchment paper, or as condensed milk would have some fat at times there is no need to grease the tray
- In a heavy bottom Kadai(wok) lightly dry roast the cashews to remove any moisture.100 gm Cashews
- Once lightly golden brown keep it aside.
- Similarly if using other nuts, dry roast them and keep it aside.1 tablespoon of pistachio/other nuts chopped
- In the same pan dry roast the desiccated coconut on a slow stove for 2-3 minutes. (One can use a combination of coconut powder or milk powder).300 gm Desiccated coconut
- Turn frequently and do it on a slow stove or else the coconut might burn.
- Once done remove it and keep it aside.
- In a Kadai(wok) add the condensed milk.1 tin
- Warm it for 2-3 minutes, till the milk starts a bit thinner.
- Now add the desiccated coconut and nuts.
- Mix everything. The mixture will thicken.
- Grease a tray or a plate with ghee.1/2 teaspoon of Clarified Butter/Ghee for greasing
- Spread the mixture on it and flatten it with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachio on it and lightly press it.1 tablespoon of chopped pistachio for garnishing
- After 10-15 minutes, give it a cut in the desired shape.
- Let it set at room temperature or in the fridge.
Sharing this with
This recipe was first posted on my blog on 17 October 2017. Today 10th September 2023, I am updating the pics and contents.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.