Indian Style Sprouted Mung Bean & Mango Salad
The mung bean also known as moong bean, monggo, green gram or mung is from the legume family and mainly cultivated in Asian countries is a high source of protein, fiber, iron and antioxidants. The best way to consume mung beans is to sprout them. Sprouting or germination is thought to improve the nutritional value of the beans and also makes it easier to digest. Also a cup of sprouted mung beans has much fewer calories. I have a post here on steps on how to sprout mung beans at home without any special equipment like a sprouter.
Mung beans can be added to soups, salads, stir fries, pancakes etc. Many people eat the sprouted mung beans or the soaked mung beans raw. I cook mine a little so that they are a little soft. When I do sprout mung beans I make a batch and store it in freezer, and add it to my soups, salads , pancakes , Indo Chinese dishes like fried rice, to add some crunch and nutrition to the dish. I also do make savory pancakes out of this. If you like check out my recipe for Mix Lentils and Beans Chila/Dosa/Pancake.
So coming to the recipe for Indian Style Sprouted Mung Bean & Mango Salad, I make this salad simple but I do add some Indian chat Masala and some chopped green chillies to add to the flavor. The chat Masala along with the lemon adds a lovely taste and the green chillies add the hotness to the dish. One can skip the green chillies and even the chat Masala, but I would recommend using it. Since it is a season of mangoes I added a bit of green Mango (The raw ones) to add more flavour to the dish and create another version of my Sprouted Mung Salad.
I am sharing this recipe for the first time with a group of food bloggers, Fantastical Food Fight, where the theme this month was Salad. So I decided to prepare this Indian Style Sprouted Mung Bean & Mango Salad.
Other salad recipes on my blog:
Kabuli Chana Salad/Chaat (Chickpea/Garbanzo Salad)
Kala Chana Chaat/Salad (Kala Chana / Black ChickPea / Bengal Gram)
So here goes the recipe
- 1 Cup Sprouted Mung Beans
- 1/4 Cup of Pickled Diced/Chopped Raw Mango (see below on how to, or one can use plain raw mango)
- 1 tablespoon of Pickled Mango Juice (replace by lemon, if using plain mango)
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber Diced
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Diced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves roughly chopped
- 1 green chilly chopped (Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Indian Chat Masala
- Chop the tomatoes and cucumber.
- For Pickled Mango, I have chopped the mango, added a bit of turmeric, red chilly powder and salt. This is kept in a jar in my fridge during mango season. It releases juices. I have used this juice instead of lemon. When I do not have this pickled mango I simply use lemon juice.
- I have added chopped green chilly as it gives a kick to the salad. One can skip this if required.
- Add the sprouts and the Indian chat masala and mix. Chat masala gives it a tangy and a required taste to otherwise not so interesting mung beans (if one feel).
- That’s it, you are done. You can refrigerate this for an hour so that the juices mix well with the sprouts or can enjoy immediately.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.
Last Updated on