So for this months Recipe Swap Challenge, I was paired with Veena Krishna Kumar who blogs at Veena’s Veg Nation. In this challenge we are paried against fellow food blogger by Jolly Makkar and Vidya Narayan. We then search for recipes from each other’s blog, prepare them and share in the group as well as on our blogs, with due credits to each other. Veena’s blog has a scrumptious collection of recipes. Though I had shortlisted few dishes for this Months challenge , the Nutty Potato Paneer balls won. The recipe was so simple and yet so delicious that I wanted to make it for my kids and as a starter for ourselves.
I did modified the original recipe a bit. First I tried to bake the Potato Paneer balls instead of frying as after all the Flat Breads I made in Sept , I really did not wanted to indulge more. However I did make 4-5 fried ones, just to understand the difference. I also replaced the cornflour with bread crumbs ,added some chopped spinach to sneak in some veggies and lastly some amchur powder . Rest I followed her recipe completely.
We enjoyed having this dish as a side to our simple meal of Dal and rice. The Nutty balls were bursting with flavour and were super crunchy, with the melt in the mouth texture. There was little difference in taste between the fried and baked Paneer balls, the baked ones had more intense flavour than the fried so next time I will reduce the spices for the baked ones.
Thank you Veena for such a wonderful recipe. I will surely be making this dish regularly.
Nutty Spinach , Potato & Paneer Balls
- 200 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1 Large Boiled Potato (around 180 gm)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Palak (Spinach)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Red Chilly powder to taste
- 1 tsp Amchur Powder
- 2 tbsp Kaju (Cashew) Powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Bread Crumbs
- Oil for lighting greasing the balls or for frying
- Boil the potato if not already and let it cool
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a wide bowl mash the potatoes, add crumbled paneer, finely chopped spinach, kaju powder, amchoor powder, red chilly, breadcrumbs and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and make equal size balls. Press it firmly to make tight balls.
- If the balls crumble add more breadcrumbs.
- Lightly grease the balls with oil all over.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180 deg c) for 15-20 mins turning in between. Baking time may vary.as per oven.
- Alternately fry it in oil until golden brown. While frying first try one ball, if it disintegrate add more bread crumbs.
- Serve it hot with chutney of your choice.
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.
Pin it for Later:
Sending this to: