Coming back to kadhi, There are different varieties we make as patli kadhi, bundi kadhi, papad kadhi, mangodi kadhi. My favourite are bundi kadhi and pakodi kadhi. Till date whenever I go to my mother’s place she makes at least one meal of pakodi Kadhi and I relish on this minimum twice J.
I made this kadhi for our event at Shhh Cooking Secretly group, to cook food from the state of Haryana. Haryanvi Cuisine is like the people of Haryana – simple, earthy and linked to the land. The emphasis is on food which is freshly prepared and since Haryana is well known for cattle dairy products are a common component in its cuisine. Specific dishes include kadhi, pakora, besan masala roti, bajra aloo roti, churma, bathua raita, singri ki sabzi, Mithe chawal, Methi gajar, Alsi ki pinni, Dahi vada etc. When I was searching for the cuisine I found that many of the dishes are made by us and I was literally drooling and remembering my childhood eating all this delicacies.
My partner for the month was Mayuri Patel who blogs at MayuriJikoni. Her blog is a versatile collection of traditional and International dishes. She explains her recipes in quite detail and I am a big fan of the pictures on her blog. She gave me two secret ingredients, Besan and Jeera. I actually wanted to make missi roti but I do not have a flame gas (Typical Indian gas) and the real taste is in that, so I thought of making this other option of Pakodi Kadhi which is again my favorite. I made this as per my mom’s Authentic recipe of pakodi kadhi, which I believe should be close to the taste of Authentic Haryanvi cuisine, as it is north Indian style only.
Ingredients for Kadhi
- 1/4 Cup Besan/Gram Flour
- 1 Cup Curd/Yogurt beaten
- 2-3 Cups Water
- 1/8 teaspoon Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds/Rai
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek/Methi seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- One can add green chillies/Ginger and garlic, I love my simple.
Preparation for Kadhi
- Click here on the detail recipe with step by step pictures for Pakodi’s here.
- Sift the Besan. I do this as it incorporates air into the flour and also it becomes a lump free batter. Besan has a tendency to form lumps.
- Add the dahi/yogurt and slowing give it a mix.
- Slowly add water around 2 cups to form a lump free batter.
- The consistency of the batter should be runny, i.e one should not see the thick besan.
- Heat a large pot or a wok. Add oil.
- Once hot, add asafoetida. Then add cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds are added last, as it might impart bitter taste if added early.
- If adding green chillies, ginger and garlic add it now and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the besan and curd mix. Add more water if required.
- Add turmeric and give it a quick mix. Let the mixture come to a boil on medium. Keep stirring in between.
- Be careful when it is above to boil, as the mix has a tendency to spill over.
- Once a boil has come, add the pakodi’s, salt and let it simmer on medium for atleast 10-15 minutes. This is necessary for the Besan to cook thoroughly. Keep stirring in between.
- Salt should be added after the boil as we have added the curd mixture.
- After 10-15 minutes switch off the gas and enjoy it hot with rice or roti. My dad always enjoys a bit of Kadhi chawal with Bura (powdered Sugar, a typical of northies)
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.
Thursday 17th of May 2018
Such a yum, delicious an healthy kadhi . Love it
Tuesday 15th of May 2018
loved your sliky soft kadhi with pakoda's...lovely share for the challenge....yum
Saturday 12th of May 2018
Slurp slurp, lipsmacking here.. What an irresistible pakoda kadhi, feel like finishing that bowl;
Thursday 10th of May 2018
pakoda kadai looks very inviting and apt for this hot weather.. The recipe written here is very interesting to read.
Thursday 10th of May 2018
Kadhi is one comfort food for me. This pakodi kadhi tastes good with hot steamed rice.