Homemade White Sandwich bread is a simple everyday bread that goes well for your breakfast or with some filling for your main meals.
Bread at times I feel is a versatile food that should be there in your house and especially with kids. They get hungry any time :-).
Though I always prefer to make whole wheat bread, at times I do make this white sandwich bread. Yes, we all crave those carbs and this white bread is one of my favorites. At times I simply enjoy it as a toast with my tea.
This is one of the best Homemade white sandwich bread and is very simple to make. It is made using easily available pantry staple ingredients except for the yeast. And if you are into baking a lot, even yeast is one of the pantry staple ingredients.
Recipe process of Homemade White Sandwich Bread
I have modified my Eggless Indian Pav/Dinner rolls recipes to make this white Sandwich Bread. Earlier I used to make this bread with butter. Recently I replaced the butter with olive oil and I loved the texture. The bread turns out more light and fluffy as compared to the one with butter.
All I do is mix the ingredients and knead the dough until elastic. I do not do any windowpane tests etc. Just knead the dough until it forms a shape. Kneading can be done by hand or with a stand mixer. Of course, with hand, it would take some effort, but it is worth it.
The dough is allowed to rest and proved. Then shaped in a loaf tin and set to prove again. Then it is baked in a hot oven for around 20-30 minutes and you are done. The smell of fresh-baked bread makes me and my daughter crazy. She anxiously waits beside the oven door to check if the bread is done. However, she needs to wait a bit more for it to cool down completely.
Shelf life of this bread
This bread stays good at room temperature for 3-4 days. However, do not compare the bread’s freshness with the bread you get at the store. Store-bought bread might appear fresher but remember they might have preservatives added.
It is always best to store the bread in a bread box or covered in plastic. I always wrap my bread in 2 layers of muslin cloth. It keeps my bread soft.
Can this bread be frozen?
One can store the bread in the freezer for up to 2 months or more. To freeze, slice them up and store. When required simply remove and pop them in a toaster.
Is this bread Vegan?
I have used cow milk in this bread. Hence it is not vegan. However one can replace it with any vegan milk like coconut milk or soy milk. One can even use water.
Can one use Bread flour?
Yes, you can. Bread flour has more protein content and you would have good results with the bread too.
How can you use Homemade White Sandwich Bread?
One can enjoy them for breakfast, snacks or pack them in your or your kid’s lunch box. So for breakfast, one can enjoy them as a spread with some Oil-Free peanut butter or Sunflower Seeds butter. For snacks, one can spread homemade jam. Simply spread some Sugar-Free Berry Jia Jam or this Pectin-Free Mix Fruit jam, or if they are a chocolate lover add some homemade chocolate hazelnut spread.
If you like to make a full meal from it, you can make some sandwiches like this Aloo Toast sandwich, Beetroot and Yogurt sandwich, or this Zucchini and carrot vegetable sandwich. Sandwiches made from this white bread are also good for your afternoon tea party.
Stale Bread Recipes
What if you have stale bread or leftover bread. One best use is to make salad Croutons or breadcrumbs. French toast is one of the best recipes for stale bread. Bread Medu vada, bread dosa, or Bread upma is also one of the best recipes to use stale bread.
One can bake this bread in a loaf pan (9 * 5 inches) or this Loaf Tin – Pullman Loaf tin is advisable. If you want straight edges and like store-bought, I would advise using Pullman Loaf tin, they are perfect for baking bread.
Few more bread recipes on my blog
- Eggless Nasturtium Greens Sandwich Bread (Tangzhong Method)
- Swirl Sourdough Whole Wheat Bread (Chocolate, Garlic, and Herbs)
- Easter Bunny Buns
- Flourless Nut and Seed Bread (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
- Sprouted Wheat Flour No-Knead Bread
- Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread
The complete bread collection can be accessed here.
Homemade White Sandwich Bread
- Large mixing Bowl
- Muslin Cloth or Cling Film
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour / Plain Flour / Maida
- 1.5 teaspoon of Instant Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil -One can use softened room temperature butter too
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk -1/4 to 1/2 cup more milk might be required depending on the dough
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing to give a light golden brown color
- 1 tablespoon olive oil / Butter for brushing the bread once baked
- In a bowl add lukewarm water and milk.1/2 Cup of lukewarm water, 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- Add in the sugar and mix.1 Tablespoon sugar
- Now add the yeast, cover, and keep it in a warm place.1.5 teaspoon of Instant Yeast
- The mixture should rise in around 10 minutes. If not your yeast is not good and you would need to try with a fresh batch.
- Now in a large bowl or a bowl of your stand mixer sift in the salt and flour.Salt to taste, 2 cups All-purpose Flour / Plain Flour / Maida
- Give it a mix.
- Now add the yeast mixture and knead the dough.
- If you are using your hand, first mix and knead it in the bowl and then top the mixture on a clean kitchen counter and knead it with the heel of your hand.
- If using a stand mixer, start on a slow speed and knead the dough first until all is combined.
- Gradually increase the speed in intervals of a minute, so that the dough gets kneaded properly.
- If required add milk but around 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Once the dough comes together add in olive oil little by little and keep on kneading.2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- Slowly you would be able to get an elastic dough.
- Once you attain this stage, grease your bowl and add the dough ball to it.
- Cover with a cling film or a light muslin cloth on top and keep it aside for 1-1.5 hours until double.
- Once the dough doubles in size, punch it to remove all the air out.
- Knead again for 3-4 mins. Form it in a rectangular shape, roughly the size of your loaf pan.
- Grease the loaf pan and put the shaped dough in the pan.
- Now let it rise again for 60-90 minutes or until doubled. At times it only takes 30 minutes to double if you are in a hot environment.
- Preheat the oven to 200 Deg C.
- Brush the bread with milk. This step is optional, however, if you need a nice golden brown color it is advisable to do so.1 tablespoon milk for brushing to give a light golden brown color
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. A good sign if the bread is done is it would start releasing the edges.
- Once done, remove from the oven and apply butter or oil immediately.1 tablespoon olive oil / Butter for brushing the bread once baked
- This helps the bread to stay moist.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Run a knife along the edges and remove it from the baking tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, slice and enjoy.
- Water or milk should not be too hot or else the yeast will die
- For the dough to rise in cold countries, you can keep the dough in the oven with the light on.
- One can slightly warm the oven too. I used to do this earlier, but now I do not. I just keep it covered. Also at times if your oven gets too hot, the yeast will die.
- All ovens are different and baking time varies with respect to oven, and tin size.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Thursday 10th of March 2022
a gorgeous homemade loaf there, Renu. I must admit I have the pullman loaf tin too, but haven't mustered courage to bake this loaf yet ur recipe being bookmarked to try this amazing homemade bread!
Thursday 3rd of March 2022
With sandwiches being the most requested lunch box, making bread at home makes so much sense. No fillers, no unwanted ingredients in home made bread keeps a happy tummy.
jayashree t rao
Monday 28th of February 2022
Homemade Sandwich Bread looks so good with a wonderful texture. Nice to serve a freshly baked bread for our family.
Sunday 27th of February 2022
That is an awesome idea to modify the Indian Pav recipe. The bread looks so beautiful with the soft crumb and nice thin crust. I prefer white bread especially if I am making grilled sandwiches. Now you've tempted me to take that yeast out of the pantry and bake.
Wednesday 23rd of February 2022
Homemade breads are the best! The taste and aroma is something to die for! I love the fact that you have used olive oil to make this bread. The crumb is definitely beautiful.