You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Zucchini and carrot vegetable sandwich is a simple and healthy sandwich made with summer-friendly vegetables. This sandwich is a healthy party appetizer or can be served fresh for picnics. They are perfect for your morning breakfast, or quick lunch or dinner.
What goes in my sandwich?
Fresh Zucchini, carrots and scallions are grated and added to the sandwich. A little bit of cream cheese to help it bind. Salt, pepper and some fresh herbs are added for flavour. I have not used any butter in this, but instead healthy avocado as a spread.
As fresh and raw zucchini and carrots are used, salt should be added last. Else the veggies will release water. Spreading butter or avocado will help the bread not get soggy so do not skip that step.
Raw or Toasted Sandwich?
One can slightly sautee the zucchini and carrots. I like the raw taste and am happy with a raw veggie sandwich. The sandwich can even be toasted. I have tried both and I prefer it raw and not toasted.
Any type of bread can be used here. I have used seeded brown bread, but one can use any bread of choice.
Alterations to this sandwich
One can add grated beetroot to this sandwich something similar to this Beetroot and Carrot Yogurt Sandwich. Instead of Zucchini, acorn squash can be used too.
Vegan substitutions for Cream Cheese
Vegans can substitute cream cheese with nut butter. Cashew butter will go perfectly here and add to taste as well as texture.
Alternate ways of using the filling
The filling can be used as-is for a salad. It can be served as coleslaw or as a topping in burger buns.
Recipes with Zucchini
- Zucchini Courgette Halwa
- Zucchini Chocolate Whole Wheat Bread
- Zucchini/Courgette Fritters (mini Pan Cakes)
- Raw Zoodles salad (Zucchini Noodles)
Recipes with Carrot
- Sugarless & Vegan Apple and Carrot Loaf #BreadBakers
- Mixed Vegetable Soup (Tomato, Cauliflower & Carrot)
- Wholemeal and Oats Carrot Crackers #BreadBakers
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake | Bread
- No onion No Garlic Carrot and Peas Pulao
- No Ghee No Mawa Gajar Halwa | Indian Carrot Pudding
Vegetarian Sandwich Recipes on my blog
- Aloo Toast Sandwich | Potato Toast Sandwich
- Beetroot and Carrot Yogurt Sandwich
- Open-Faced Grilled Cheese with Tomato | Bread Pizza
- Kale, Broccoli and paneer Sandwich
Zucchini and carrot vegetable sandwich
- 1 Cup Grated Zucchini -Grate it along with the skin
- 2-3 Scallions. -Used only the onions, one can use the greens too
- ½ Cup grated carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano or 7-8 leaves of fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Parsley or 7-8 leaves of fresh Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Basil or 4-5 leaves of fresh Basil
- 1 tablespoon of cream cheese / Thick curd / Cashew butter
- 1 medium-size avocado mashed -can be replaced with butter
- salt to taste -go easy on this
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 8 Bread slices
- In a bowl add the grated zucchini, carrot, onion.1 Cup Grated Zucchini, ½ Cup grated carrots, 2-3 Scallions.
- If using dried herbs Lightly crush all the dried herbs and add them to the veggies.1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano or 7-8 leaves of fresh oregano, 1/4 teaspoon dried Parsley or 7-8 leaves of fresh Parsley, 1/4 teaspoon dried Basil or 4-5 leaves of fresh Basil
- If using fresh herbs, simply tear it with your hand and add it to the mix.
- Add cream cheese / Thick curd / Cashew butter1 tablespoon of cream cheese / Thick curd / Cashew butter
- Add salt, pepper and mix.salt to taste, Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- In another bowl mash the avocado.1 medium-size avocado mashed
- Take 2 slices of bread. The spread avocado mixture on both.8 Bread slices
- Top it with the sandwich mix of zucchini, carrot and onion.
- Cover with another slice and enjoy.
- One can toast this in a toaster or an open pan too.
- The herbs should be added very less or else it will overpower the taste.
- Vegans Can use cashew butter instead of cream cheese
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Let’s be Friends
This post was first published on 12th January 2015. Today I have tweaked the recipe a bit, added some content and fresh pictures.
Check out the delicious Sandwiches prepared by our Sunday Funday group
- Bombay Chapatti Sandwich by Sneha’s Recipe
- Chicken Bacon Pressed Picnic Sandwiches by Making Miracles
- Club Sandwich by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Falafel Pita Sandwich by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- French Dip Sandwich au Jus (Slow Cooker) by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Kielbasa Sandwiches by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Muffuletta by Food Lust People
- Is it, Or Isn’t It, a Sandwich? by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Submarine Bites with Sub Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Zucchini and Carrot Vegetable Sandwich by Cook with Renu