You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Rajgira Kadhi – Farali Kadhi for Vrat or Amaranth flour kadhi is a simple, quick, and delicious kadhi made using Rajgira flour and Yogurt/curd. It has a slight tangy taste from the sour curd and is filling and comforting soup. It is nutritious and gluten free.
What is Rajgira/Amaranth
Rajgira or Amaranth Flour is made from the seeds of Amaranth plant. Amaranth a pseudo cereal is a gluten-free grain which is rich in fiber and proteins. It has an earthy, nutty flavour which goes well in many dishes. From breakfast to desserts, savory as well as sweet dishes can be made using Amarnath.
Rajgira can be sprouted, added to smoothies or can be popped up and eaten as is. Popped rajgira is then milled to make flour. One can make parathas, puris, pancakes, pattice etc from Rajgira Flour. It can be added as a thickener to soups and stews.
Rajgira chikki or Rajgira Ladoo is very commonly made in India. One of our all time favourite snacks when we were kids. I made these Rajgira Chocolate healthy bars for my kids for their evening snack and they love it.
Rajgira flour is commonly used for Indian fasting or vrat recipes. I like to make Rajgira ladoo, Rajgira popcorn and now this Rajgira Kadhi. My recent favourite being this Chocolate Puffed Amaranth Bars.
Fasting recipes need not be fried or laden with oil. It can be healthy too. Rajgira Kadhi is one such recipe. Refreshing, healthy and light on the tummy.
For fasting or Vrat days I love to make light food instead of fried. Like this Samak Rice Khichdi which is a good replacement for rice for day to day eating too. I also love to make this Farali Kuttu aur Singhara ka Dhokla , Sabudana Pancake/Fritters or this Singhara ka paratha instead of puri for main meals during vrat days.
Making Rajgira/Amaranth Flour at home
I made my own Rajgira/Amaranth Flour as I do not get it in stores here. I popped up the raw Rajgira and then allowed it to cool completely . Then simply I grinded it in a mixer grinder to fine consistency. I have not sieved it, but one can if you need a very fine texture of the flour.
Process of making Rajgira Kadhi – Farali Kadhi
I followed the similar process of making this kadhi which I make for my normal Dahi kadhi or Takachi Kadhi. I soaked the rajgira flour in curd/yogurt for some time. Then did a simple tadka of cumin, ginger and green chillies in ghee. Skipped the garlic here, as it was for fast. But one can add it for normal days. Added the flour, curd and water mixture and adjusted the consistency. Then let it simmer for sometime, until the curd is cooked along with Rajgira flour. A delicious, healthy and a gluten free kadhi is ready in no time. One can make this kadhi thick or thin as they prefer. The quantity of yogurt can also be changed.
Rajgira Kadhi (Farali Kadhi for Vrat)
- 1/4 Cup Rajgira/Amaranath Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sour Curd/Yogurt (Sour is better as it adds to taste)
- Water as required
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds /Jeera
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1-2 green chillies chopped (As per taste_
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander to garnish.
- Add Rajgira/Amaranth flour in a bowl.
- Add in the yogurt.
- Make a lump free batter using Rajgira/Amaranth flour and yogurt.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add water to the Flour and yogurt mixture. Around 2 cups minimum. Make a lump free and a smooth batter.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ghee.
- Once the ghee is hot, add Jeera (cumin seeds)
- Let it crackle.
- Then add the ginger and green chillies
- Let this saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the flour, yogurt and water mixture and stir.
- Adjust the water consistency as required.
- Keep on stirring in between or else the flour will stick to the bottom.
- Bring this mixture to a boil on medium.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, add salt and reduce the stove to slow.
- Let this simmer or cook on slow for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off. Garnish with coriander and serve.
- 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- One can make this kadhi thick or thin as they prefer.
- The quantity of yogurt can also be reduced
Pin it for Later:
Linking this with:
Let’s be Friends
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Did you get my 7 days Vegan & Gluten Free Breakfast/Meal Plan? if not Enter your details below.