If you are looking for a last-minute gifting idea for Christmas, then try this 3 ingredient easy peasy 10 minutes Spiced Candied Mixed Nuts. And let me warn you they are addictive and I bet you will not be able to stop at one.
These mixed nuts are very easy to make. All it needs is one pan and just 3 ingredients. That is nuts, sugar, and spice. Even a beginner can try this quick and healthy recipe.
Spiced Candied Mixed Nuts ~ Perfect Edible Gift Idea
These nuts are good for your parties as a munching snack or they are also best as edible gifts to gift your loved ones for Christmas or Diwali.
I have used a mix of nuts like Pecan, Almonds, Brazil nuts, and walnuts. I have individually roasted them as I wanted them like that. The other reason is I wanted different flavors for each and hence I did not mix. However, you can mix everything and make it in one single pan.
I have flavored this with different spices. For Almonds, I have used cinnamon, for Brazil Nuts I have used nutmeg. For Pecans and walnuts, I have used paprika powder. You can flavor all the same or individually.
Variations to Try
One can use all spices mix, Pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, etc. The possibilities are endless. I have used Demerara sugar, but next time I will use Jaggery/Palm sugar or Dark Brown sugar. I think Jaggery will add to the caramelized flavor.
One can use any nuts. You can add cashew, peanuts, Pistachio, Hazelnuts, etc. The possibilities are endless. I spiced the walnut and pecan for a reason. My husband does not like it as is, and he kept on eating this after I candied these nuts :-).
If you like to make something with peanuts, try this Air Fryer Masala Peanuts, a perfect party appetizer or a munching snack. They can be easily done in as little as 15 minutes from start to finish.
Roasting in Pan/Pot
I have roasted this in the pan as all it takes is 4-5 minutes of time on a slow to medium stove for a cup of nuts. If you mix everything it will be around 3-4 cups so it might take 2-3 more mins max. But all in all, you can do it in one single pan/pot.
Roasting in Oven
So no long baking in the oven. Of course, you can do that if you like, but all it takes is just 5 minutes in the pan. However, if you are making a large batch you can roast them in the oven too. In that case, roast them in a single layer in the oven and turn it in between.
Why Initial Roasting
I have first lightly roasted the nuts in the pan to remove any excess moisture. Also, I feel that lightly roasting it before adds a bit of crunch. But you can completely skip this step if you wish. It just takes 4-5 minutes for each of the nuts, if you are doing it separately.
How to enjoy Spiced Candied Nuts
Whichever nuts you make there are so many different ways to enjoy this.
- As is, yes they are a great munching snack. Eat a few for your evening snack.
- Either full or lightly crush them and sprinkle them on your Salads like, in this, Kohlrabi, Carrot & Spinach Salad, Raw Zoodles Salad, Raw Watermelon Rind & Avocado Salad, etc.
- You can add this to your smoothie bowls. They will go well with a topping in this 2 Ingredient Cantaloupe and Strawberry Smoothie or in this 2 Ingredient Mango Yogurt Smoothie.
- These spiced nuts will add a nice crunch in this Ragi Banana and Dates smoothie or in this Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
- They will even be delicious as a topping lightly crushed in this Healthy Avocado Chocolate Mousse or in this
How long does this stay good?
These nuts should stay good for 30 days or more if stored in an airtight container.
Few More recipe ideas with nuts
Spiced Candied mixed Nuts
- 1 Cup – 180 grams – Almonds
- 1 Cup – 110 grams – Pecan
- 1 Cup – Brazil Nuts
- 1 Cup – 110 grams – Walnuts
- 1 Cups Sugar – 200 grams (For each you will need ¼ Cup – 50 grams)
- 8 tablespoon Water (For each you will need 2 tablespoon Water)
- Spices as per choice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (I used a bit more, you can reduce it)
- Lightly roast the nuts on slow to medium in a pan.1 Cup – 180 grams – Almonds, 1 Cup – 110 grams – Pecan, 1 Cup – Brazil Nuts, 1 Cup – 110 grams – Walnuts
- Either individually roast the nuts or mix all together.
- Roast the nuts by stirring frequently so they do not burn.
- After 4-5 minutes, they will release a nice aroma. Switch off and remove the roasted nuts in a pan.
- Allow it to cool.
- In a pan add ¼ Cup – 50 grams Sugar.1 Cups Sugar – 200 grams
- Add 2 tablespoon of water and spice of your choice.8 tablespoon Water
- On a slow to medium stove caramelize the sugar.
- It will start to bubble in 2-3 minutes.
- After the sugar starts caramelizing, add the flavourings and give a quick mix.Spices as per choice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Nutmeg, 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Add the nuts and evenly coat it.
- After 1-2 minutes, you will see the nuts have been coated and the sugar hardened.
- It’s done, switch off and remove it on a plate and allow it to cool completely.
- Store it in an air-tight container.
For Pecans, Walnuts & Brazil nuts.
- In the same pan repeat the above steps one by one for each of the nuts.
- Standard US Size Cups and spoons Used
- One can either do the nuts individually or mix them.
- I have mentioned the ingredients for 4 types of nuts and it is 4 cups. One can reduce the quantity.
- One can adjust the spices as per your liking.
- They are mildly sweet and not overly. If you like more sweet you can add more sugar.
- If your sugar is not hardened after coating the nuts, it means the sugar is not caramelized properly. In your next try add a minute while caramelizing the sugar.
- Do not rush or do it on a fast stove you might burn the nuts.
- Initial roasting of nuts is optional
Linking this with
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below, and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Also, I would love to see your creations, take a picture, and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter, and @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.
Tuesday 22nd of December 2020
So delicious, got to try this quick recipe. On Christmas Day planning to share lunch with my neighbors and I think these will be perfect to nibble one to get the party started.