You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Vegan Corn and Mushroom Soup is a simple, quick and comforting soup loaded with vegetables. It is one of the best soups that can be made in no time and is best on a cold or rainy day.
This soup is also a good way to enjoy some mushrooms. Not everyone likes mushroom’s and if you want to start enjoying some, I would say this is a good recipe. Mushrooms are low in calories and are a rich source of fibre. There are different types of mushrooms available and each has different nutritional benefits. One can read more about mushrooms online.
Vegetables used in soup
I like making such vegetables and especially Indo Chinese type of soup for my evening meals on days. This Vegan Corn and Mushroom soup is filling and easy to make. It has the goodness of mushroom and carrots and the crunch from the sweet corn. One can use bell peppers, zucchini and also celery in this soup.
Recipe process of making Soup
I have sauteed this in simple onion, ginger and garlic. Veggies are then added. Mixed along with sauces to give it some extra flavour. Veggies are simmered in water and allowed to boil for a few minutes.
Corn Starch Slurry / Rice Flour Slurry
Corn starch slurry is added to add thickness to the soup. If you are on a gluten-free diet be sure to use 100 per cent corn starch that is gluten-free or you can replace the corn starch with rice flour or Tapioca Flour, however, the texture will vary. If you are okay with the consistency, you can even skip corn starch altogether.
Few more recipes with Mushrooms
- Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms
- Easy Vegan Pad Thai
- Bakery Style Veg Puff | Curry Puff
- Thukpa | Vegetable Noodle Soup
I am sharing this with our group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge group, where the theme for this month is Moonsoon Treats. The theme was suggested by Shobha Ji from Shobha’s Food Mazza. Shobha Ji’s blog is a treasure of recipes and especially if you are looking for authentic recipes from Sindhi Cuisine. I want to try her healthy Detox Soup aka Drumstick soup. Looks so delicious and healthy and perfect for monsoon or chilly weather.
Meera Girdhar from Exotic and Easy cooking was my partner for the month. She gave me ginger and vinegar as the secret ingredients and I made this healthy, Vegan Corn and Mushroom Soup.
Meera made this delicious monsoon special Air-Fried Corn kebab with the secret ingredients salt and green chilli. I also want to try here Lemon Chilly Baby corn. It looks dangerously addictive and yummy monsoon snack.
Vegan Corn and Mushroom Soup
- 1 Cup chopped Mushroom -I use Button/Chestnut/Shiitake Mushroom
- ¼ Cup Sweet corn kernels -Frozen or fresh can be used
- ¼ Cup carrots cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Soya Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Red chilly sauce / Sriracha Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped/grated garlic
- ½ tablespoon chopped/grated ginger
- ¼ cup chopped onion -Scallions
- 1-2 chopped red chilly -Red Jalapeno – Optional, if you like spicy
- 1 tablespoon of Corn starch -More might be required
- 3-4 cups water or as required
- Salt as required
- In a heavy bottom, pot add the Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil.1 tablespoon Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil
- Once hot add the garlic, ginger and saute for a few seconds.½ tablespoon chopped/grated ginger, 1 tablespoon chopped/grated garlic
- Now add the chopped onion and saute again until lightly translucent.¼ cup chopped onion
- If using red chilly, add now.1-2 chopped red chilly
- Add in the corn and carrots.¼ Cup Sweet corn kernels, ¼ Cup carrots cut lengthwise
- Add in the soya sauce, Red chilly sauce / Sriracha Sauce and Vinegar.1 tablespoon Soya Sauce, 1 tablespoon Red chilly sauce / Sriracha Sauce, 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- Cook on high for 2-3 minutes until they start turning soft but still have a crunch.
- If using frozen corn, let it sit in normal water for 30 minutes or microwave for 1 minute in some water so that they come to room temperature.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and let them cook for a minute.1 Cup chopped Mushroom
- Now add the water, salt and let the mixture come to a boil. (Go easy on the salt as sauces have salt in them)3-4 cups water or as required, Salt as required
- In the meantime, make a slurry of corn starch.1 tablespoon of Corn starch
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch and ¼ cup water and mix it to a smooth paste.
- Once you get a boil in the soup simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now slowly add the corn starch slurry stirring the soup mixture continuously. If you do not stir while adding the slurry, at times you might get a big lump of corn starch mixture in your soup.
- Once the slurry is mixed, let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. The soup will thicken.
- If you need it to thicken more, add more corn starch slurry, but a little at a time. If you need it more on the liquid side, add more water. Adjust the consistency as required.
- Garnish with some noodles and serve hot.
- Standard US Size cups used.
- Corn Starch can be skipped or replaced with rice flour or tapioca flour.
- One can use bell peppers, zucchini and also celery in this soup.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.