Finally I successfully finished my second Mega BM on 26 Vegetarian grain recipes and on time. My earlier BM was last september featuring 26 different International Flatbreads in the order of A-Z.
I had started preparing for this Mega BM a few months back, but it took a back seat. Blame that to a lot of unexpected things. I also had a travel planned for a week in the month and had almost given up on the challnege.
But I wanted to do it, given the fact that I had a few dishes ready. I did not want to leave this challenge just because of some small issues. So I focussed on my shortlisted list again. Since it was a grain festival, I can say the list was endless.
My first attempt was on making a rice dish from each state. Most of them where ellaborate Birayani’s. Slowly I could sense that this would not be possible for me and my family. I would not be able to make so many with office and kids and secondly the main thing was we would not be able to eat so much. As we do not eat much rice, so consuming it every week would have been really difficult.
So I revamped my list and went for healthier alternatives. As the main criteria for this festival was that the dish has to feature a grain. So I included many non-rice based dish. Though I did not plan of subthemes, it eventually worked that way. . So I divided the weeks into sub-themes and was happy with it. Finally I was able to do 26 Vegetarian grain Recipes.
So for the first week I started with dishes that feature a grain but they are not rice. I included some healthy grains like Jowar, Bajra, Buckwheat, Samak Rice etc. Recipes that I prepared for the first week were:
- Samak Rice Khichdi | Vrat ke Chawal | Farali Khichdi
- Farali Kuttu ki Khichdi | Buckwheat Khichdi
- Gluten free Jowar pulao | Sorghum pearls pulao
- Bajre ka Bhat (Pearl millet one pot meal)
- Pearl Barley Pulao
- Savory 10 minutes Vegetable Oats Upma
For the second week I did all khichdi’s. Where a grain is clubbed along with some dal. The grain can or cannot be rice. This khichdi’s were mostly a one pot healthy kid, toddler or baby friendly foods. I have used very less spice in all the khichdi recipes, you can add if require. Also they are all no onion no garlic khichdi, so all in all an easy and delicious one pot meals. Recipes I shared for this sub-theme were:
- Daliya and Split Green Moong Dal Khichdi
- Bhoger Khichuri | Bengali Khichuri | Bhaja Muger Dal Khichuri
- Bajra and Split Green Moong Dal Khichdi
- Yellow Moong Dal Khichdi
- Karnataka Style Bisi Bele Bath | Hot Lentil Rice
- Gehun ki Bikaneri Khichdi | Whole Wheat Khichdi
For the third week I went with pulao or rice based dishes which are cooked along with some spices or where without a specific masala that dish would be incomplete. Recipes I shared for this sub-theme were:
- No onion No Garlic Carrot and Peas Pulao
- Puliyodharai |Tamarind Rice
- Kashmiri Pulao – with fresh fruits and nuta
- Mumbai style Tawa Pulao using leftover rice
- Veg Schezwan Fried Rice
- Rajasthani Gatta Pulao
For the last week I still had a few dishes to prepare and hence the theme was mixed, from Biryani to Pulao to healthier Quinoa based dish. Recipes I shared for this sub-theme were:
- Awadhi Vegetable Biryani
- Simple Vegetable Biryani (No onion No Garlic)
- Brown Rice Chickpea Pulao
- Tandoori Paneer Biryani | Paneer Tikka Biryani
- Spicy Mint and Coriander Quinoa Pulao
- Maharasthrian Masala Bhat
The last week just had 2 days and hence I decided to go with easier and quick 10 min Breakfast recipes that feature a grain. So for this sub-theme I made the below dishes:
Hope you all enjoyed my series of 26 Vegetarian Grain recipes. Keep watching this space for more and more recipes coming you way.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.