Farmer’s Market Vegetarian Quesadilla
Farmer’s Market Vegetarian quesadilla is an easy peasy, quick 10-minute lunch idea recipe using fresh and organic local vegetables from the farmer’s market. It uses the fresh colorful stalks and greens of the swiss chard along with some colorful peppers or capsicum. Loaded with cheddar cheese, these quesadillas are a complete healthy meal.
What is Quesadillas
Quesadilla is a Mexican dish. It consists of a tortilla that is primarily filled with cheese, meats, beans, and spices. For Vegetarians, meats are replaced by vegetables. These tortillas are then cooked on a griddle. Served with guacamole, tomato salsa, chopped onion, etc.
Varitionas of Quesadillas
Traditionally the tortillas are made of corn or masa harina. I have made an attempt to make corn tortilla here. Wheat flour tortillas and now multi flour tortillas are also very common. As every recipe has its variation, even dessert quesadillas are made. Stuffed with chocolate, caramel, and fruits. Breakfast quesadillas are made using eggs, cheese, and bacon.
How is the tortilla cooked?
The whole tortilla is cooked on a griddle, fillings are added and then another tortilla is topped on it. Another way is to fill it only half and fold it. I prefer the second method as it helps to flip and cook it on both sides.
I love to make Vegetarian Quesadilla as this is loaded with vegetables and is a quick and easy recipe. So when Priya who blogs at “The World through my eyes” asked me what I would love to cook for the Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge, I was like either Quesadilla or nachos. And she then gave me 2 secret ingredients cheese and peppers and I cooked this Farmer’s Market Vegetarian quesadilla. I gave her salt and garlic and she cooked these yummy Veggie Loaded Burrito.
This week Narmada from “Nams Corner” asked us to cook something from the Mexican cuisine. We all were so excited to cook from one of these famous cuisine. Before I hop on to instructions on how I made the Vegetarian Quesadilla, do check out her quick and easy Sweet Corn Salad Recipe.
Recipe Process I followed for this Vegetarian Quesadilla
I am not saying my Quesadilla is a typical Mexican recipe, but yes adapted from it. It might differ. Being a vegetarian I love to include different vegetables in my Quesadillas. In today’s recipe, I have used the fresh veggies which I got from the farmers’ market and some fresh from my garden. So whatever I have in my fridge.
Today I had some colorful Swiss chard and peppers and I decided to add this both, along with some sweet corn kernels. For the spice, I used my garden fresh Romanian Chilly which had a slight kick. I saute the vegetables in a bit of onion, chilly along with smoked red paprika. This allowed the chard stalks to soften a bit while still maintaining the crunch.
I then slightly cooked the tortillas on a griddle. Then added the vegetables on half of the side. Folded and let it cook on both the side until the cheese melted. That’s it the whole process of cooking the tortilla will take around 3-4 minutes. The cooking of the veggies will take around 10 minutes max. So you have one healthy lunch in less than 30 minutes, including the chopping and cleaning of veggies.
I have used store-bought whole wheat tortillas here, and this is something one can keep handy. It becomes easy when you want to cook something really quick or want something different yet filling and healthy.
This can even be made with our Indian roti or chapati. Using left over roti is a good idea. And the fact that when we were kids, our parents use to do this. All we never knew this was a Mexican cuisine. All in all we use to enjoy it thoroughly.
Few such Easy vegetable stuffing Ideas I like are below:
So here goes the recipe of Farmer’s Market Vegetarian Quesadilla
Farmer’s Market Vegetarian Quesadilla
- 1 Cup chopped Vegetables -I used Chard greens, Chard stalks, Green & Red pepper
- ½ Cup Sweet Corn kernels
- ¼ Cup chopped onion
- 1-2 small chilly (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red chilly sauce
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika Powder (Red chili powder can be used too or can be skipped completely)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup of grated Cheese (or as required – I have used Cheddar Cheese)
- 2 Tortillas
- In a pan or a wok add the oil.
- Once hot add the onion and chilly and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in the corn kernels, chard stalks, and Red chilly sauce.
- Mix and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peppers, Smoked paprika powder, salt to taste and cook it further
- Add the green veggies in the last and cook it until they are slightly cooked.
- Mix everything and switch off. Let it cool down for 5 minutes.
Assembling the Quesadilla
- On a griddle or a crepe pan, slightly cook the tortilla on a pan with either butter or oil on one side.
- Flip and add stuffing on half of the side.
- Top it with a generous amount of grated cheese.
- Fold it, slightly press it from the top and let it cook.
- Flip and let it cook on the other side until the cheese starts melting and you see brown spots appearing.
- Serve it with a dip of your choice.
- 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- Any combination of fresh vegetables can be used
Pin it for Later:
Linking this with:
Love to read your comments and feedback. Do drop a line in the comment section if you like and do not forget to rate the Recipe. If you try this recipe, would love to see your creations, take a picture and do tag me at @cookwithrenu using the hashtag #Cookwithrenu on Facebook, Twitter and @Renunad on Instagram. Subscribe to my email list so that you get the recipe straight in your mailbox.