Bread Pizza or an open-faced grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious alternative to traditional pizza. Quick and easy open sandwiches can be topped up with anything you fancy like tomatoes, peppers, eggs, or any veggies, fruits, or meat. It can be made in an air-fryer or oven.
What is an Open Sandwich?
An open sandwich is a sandwich that has a slice of bread that can either be toasted or left as is. It can be generally topped up with different food items. Also known as open-face or open-faced sandwich, bread baser, or tartine. We call it bread pizza as we top it up with all our pizza toppings and have it as a cheat pizza.
Bread Pizza in Air Fryer
Earlier I used to make this pizza in the oven. Even now when I have a big batch to make I do it in the oven, but for just my kids or when we have some sudden guest, an air-fryer comes to my rescue. Yes, they can be done in as quickly as 6-7 minutes in an air-fryer. So when you are hungry and looking for some healthy snacks for kids, try this veggie and cheese-loaded bread pizza or open sandwich.
I used to make this open sandwich a lot a few years ago. I use to generally top it up with bell peppers or capsicums. Add cheese and grill, and your delicious breakfast treat is ready in 10-15 minutes.
I posted this recipe first in October 2018, when I grew cherry tomatoes for the first time. And when I had the tomatoes coming up I had to use my fresh organic produce to make this open-faced grilled cheese with tomatoes.
I make this quite a lot as kids love them. They call it bread pizza and now they have learned to make their own with their favourite toppings. The other day, I had a sudden guest and I grilled this pizza in an air-fryer.
Recipe of Bread Pizza or Open Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The recipe is quite simple, I apply butter on bread slices and toast it on one side. Then I top it with either tomatoes, peppers, corn, or any available veggie. But typically one or the combination of the above.
Tomato Bread Pizza
If I am using only tomatoes, I generally make it like a bruschetta. I add some feta cheese or paneer(optional), herbs, black pepper, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Peanut and Garlic Chutney Bread Pizza
At times I even grate or crush a boiled egg and add to it. So it has that extra protein and is perfect for the morning breakfast. Last time I even added my peanut and garlic chutney to it, to satisfy my spicy cravings :-).
And did I tell you if you have some leftover cheese slices that no one wants to eat or any type of cheese, you can use this recipe? The only thing is that the cheese should melt. I generally top it up with cheddar cheese or cheese slices.
And if you do not like it grilled or baked one can enjoy it as is with just a few toppings. I like to spread butter or my guacamole and then top it with tomatoes and peppers.
I love to make open sandwiches and here are a few more sandwiches from my blog. One of the most popular sandwiches on my blog is this Aloo Toast Sandwich or Potato Sandwich.
Bread Pizza (Open Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich)
- 1 Cup Chopped Tomatoes (Into 1/2 inch quarters or halves)
- 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese or Crumbled Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp mix of Spices (Oregano, Basil, Parsley) Your choice
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli flakes (Optional)
- Salt to taste If using feta cheese, go easy on the salt as it already contains salt
- 8 Bread Slices
- 2-3 tbsp Butter / Olive Oil
Grilling in Oven or Air Fryer
- Preheat the oven or Air Fryer at 180 C.
Grilling in Air Fryer
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 180 C.
Grillin in Pan
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on medium stove
- Apply the butter/Olive oil on one side of the bread and toast the bread for 5 mins.2-3 tbsp Butter / Olive Oil, 8 Bread Slices
Preparing the mixture to top up
- When the bread slices are grilling, in a wide bowl, chop the tomatoes and add the Feta Cheese or crumbled paneer .1 Cup Chopped Tomatoes (Into 1/2 inch quarters or halves), 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese or Crumbled Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), 1 tsp mix of Spices (Oregano, Basil, Parsley)
- Lightly crush the spice mix in between your palms and add it to the mix.1 tsp mix of Spices (Oregano, Basil, Parsley)
- Add salt and Red chili flakes if using.1/2 tsp Red chilli flakes, Salt to taste
- Add olive oil and gently mix Everything.1 tsp Olive oil
- Once your bread is slightly toasted, spread the mixture on the bread slices.
- Top this up with some grated mozzarella cheese. (One can use cheddar too).1/4-1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- One can sprinkle some red chilli flakes or black pepper powder if required at this point.
Grilling in Oven / Air Fryer
- Grill for another 5 minutes, just until the cheese melts in the oven or Air Fryer
Grillin in Pan
- If grilling on a pan cover and grill on a pan for 5 mins.
Variations to tomato toppings
- One can add some peppers, corn and tomato and grill it
- If eating egg, add boiled egg, some peanut chutney and cheese
- Simply spread some guacamole and tomatoes and enjoy
Sharing this with
Earlier I posted this recipe on 4th October 2018 as part of the Easy Breakfast Dishes for BM Series. Today the 9th of October 2023, I am updating the contents and adding more recipe options for the post with fresh pics.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.