Buckwheat Groats Pancake aka Farali Kuttu ka Cheela is gluten-free, quick, and easy savory pancake made using 6 ingredients including salt and water. They are best if you are on a gluten-free diet as they are filling and light on the tummy. Perfect food if you are fasting or as in Hindi vrat or upvaas food.
So what is Buckwheat?
Yes even though the name has wheat in it, it is gluten-free. Buckwheat is one of the healthiest foods which needs to be incorporated into our diet. It has numerous health benefits, tasty, and easy to prepare. I have already detailed more about Buckwheat in my post on Farali Kutti ki Khichdi | Buckwheat Khichdi.
Recipes with Buckwheat
In India Buckwheat is a commonly consumed grain during fasting. Buckwheat Khichdi, Halwa, Pakoras etc are made during fasting days. I remember my mom making these pancakes for her fast and I even though not fasting would wait for these pancakes. They are perfect with some Kali Mirch ki aloo ki sabji and curd on the side.
I also like to make this Farali Kuttu ki Khichdi on days when I like to eat something light and healthy. Another recipe that even my kids love to eat is this Buckwheat Sweet Potato Pancakes and this Buckwheat Oats Cookies. This Farali Kuttu aur Singhara ka Dhokla (Buckwheat And Water Chestnut Flour Steamed Cake) goes perfect as a breakfast or a mid-evening snack for my family.
Instant Version of Farali Kuttu ka Cheela
One can make an Instant version of these pancakes using Buckwheat flour. I get the groats/grains here and like to use them. I would say even by using groats you are making an Instant version only as it just requires 30 mins of soaking time.
Process of Buckwheat Groats Pancake
After soaking Buckwheat groats in hot water the water will turn slimy and sticky. Do not worry there is nothing wrong. Buckwheat has the property of making goo. Just drain the water and rinse the groats again in normal tap water and you are good to go.
I have made a batter with green chilies and ginger. One can add veggies, coriander if you prefer for regular non-fasting days. Secondly, I like to use Ghee (Clarified Butter) for shallow frying but one can use oil too.
I have posted this recipe earlier, but today just updating the content and pics. No changes have been made to the recipe.
Few more Farali/Fasting Recipes:
Fried & Steamed Snacks
- Sabudana Vada
- Farali Kuttu aur Singhara ka Dhokla (Buckwheat And Water Chestnut Flour Steamed Cake)
- Farali Raw Banana Kebab (Pan-Fried)
Pancakes (Chila) & Parathas
- Sabudana Pancake or Sabudana fritters
- Buckwheat Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Farali Singhara Paratha (Gluten Free)
Bhaji’s & Curries
- Farali Peanut, Sesame and Curd Chutney
- Singdana (Peanut) Raita\dip
- Nasturtium Leaves & Stems Raita (Yogurt Dip)
- How to puff Amaranth | Popped Rajgira | Amaranth Popcorn
- Fasting – Vrat – Farali Thali (Gluten Free Thali)
Drinks & Sweets
- Sugar free Khajur Barfi (Dates & Nuts Roll)
- Srikhand | Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand
- Aamras Without Blender (Sweet Mango Juice)
- 2 Ingredients Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- Indian Style Avocado Lassi |Avocado Yogurt Smoothie
- Sugarless No Churn Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
Extra’s (Padadum & Wafers)
Ideas for Lunch Box? Download our Free Lunch Box Plan
So here goes the recipe for Buckwheat Groats Pancake | Farali Kuttu ka Cheela
Buckwheat Groats Pancakes | Farali Kuttu ka Cheela
- 1 Cup Buckwheat Groats (Kuttu) – one can use buckwheat flour too
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- Hot Water for Soaking + more for grinding
- salt to taste
- Ghee (Clarified Butter for shallow frying) – One can use oil too and make it Vegan
- Rinse the Buckwheat groats in water 2-3 times.1 Cup Buckwheat Groats
- Soak it in hot water. (I almost boiled the water)
- Let the groats soak in water for 30 minutes.Hot Water for Soaking + more for grinding
- After 30 minutes, the water will be slimy and sticky.
- Discard this water and rinse the grains again in normal tap water.
- Drain and grind the rinsed grains using green chillies, ginger and salt to taste.2 green chillies, 1/2 inch ginger, salt to taste
- Do not add water in start. Only add if required and grind to a smooth paste.
- The consistency of the batter should be pouring Cheela/dosa like, as seen in the video below.
- Heat a pan. Once hot drizzle some ghee on the pan.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the batter and spread it in clockwise direction to form a cheela/dosa/crepe.
- Thickness can be as desired. I like it thin as they turn crispy and taste good.
- Once half cooked, drizzle some ghee on the sides and top and let it cook.Ghee
- Once it has cooked from the bottom it will start leaving the sides.
- Flip and let it cook on the other side.
- Serve hot with some Kali mirch ki aloo ki sabji (Potatoes in black pepper) and yogurt/curd or chutney of your choice.
- 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon=15 ml, 1 Cup=235 ml
- One can use oil instead of Ghee.
- Buckwheat flour can be used instead of groats. In that case just mix everything and make pancakes.
Today, 30th August 2021, I am adding step by step pics for the process as well as added a few more links to fasting recipes in the post.
This post was first published on September 25, 2017. I am updating the contents of this post and adding the recipe card. Sharing this with Foodies_RedoingOldPost_20
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.