Farali Kali Mirch Aloo or vrat ke aloo is a simple and quick, dry potato vegetable made using potato and seasoned with black pepper powder.
This upvas ke aloo or falhari aloo goes well as a side to your vrat ki thali or your upvas special kuttu ka cheela. This is also best with some Farali Roti, a gluten-free roti recipe by Mayuri’s Jikoni. I even love to enjoy this with a bowl of curd or yogurt. This even goes well as a side with Samak Rice Khichdi or this Farali Kuttu ki Khichdi (Buckwheat Khichdi).
This Vrat ke aloo is one of the quickest and easiest recipes one can enjoy during fasting days or any day. All it needs is some boiled potatoes, ghee, cumin seeds, black pepper, and salt. One can even make this with raw potatoes but the texture will differ slightly.
As this is generally made during fasting days, this is a no onion no garlic easy recipe. If you like to explore more of my no onion no garlic recipe, check out my complete collection of No Onion No Garlic Recipes.
To make this potato spiced with black pepper all I do is a tadka or tempering of cumin seeds with ghee. Then the potatoes are cooked for 5-7 minutes. After that, I add black pepper powder and salt to taste.
Few Tips while making this Farali Kali Mirch Aloo
Make sure that before adding the cumin seeds the ghee is hot. As the cumin seeds need to crackle properly to release the aroma and flavor. It needs that perfect bhuna hua (properly roasted) cumin seeds for this veggie. If the ghee is not hot, the seeds will not sizzle properly.
This kali Mirchi wale aloo tastes best when the potatoes are cooked slightly along with ghee. You would need to cook them for 5-10 minutes turning in between. This helps in getting them a slightly crunchier texture.
Is this Vegan?
As I have used ghee this is not vegan and this tastes best with ghee or clarified butter. But if you are vegan you can replace it with oil.
Farali Kali Mirch Aloo
- 2-3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Clarified Butter – Ghee
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder – As per taste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds – Jeera
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the potatoes well and get rid of any impurities.
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot.2-3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Let them cool.
- Once cooled peel and roughly chop them into cubes.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add Clarified Butter.1 tablespoon Clarified Butter – Ghee
- Once the ghee is hot add cumin seeds. One can test if the ghee is hot by dropping 1-2 cumin seeds. If it sizzles immediately it is done.1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds – Jeera
- Let the cumin seeds crackle properly.
- Now add the potatoes and give it a nice stir.
- Add salt and let the potatoes cook for 6-7 minutes on slow to medium stirring in between.Salt to taste
- One can lightly break the pieces with the back of a spoon
- At the end of 6-7 minutes add black pepper powder.½ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder – As per taste
- Mix and again let it cook on slow to medium for 1-2 minutes.
- Switch off and serve as required.
- Vegans can replace clarified butter with oil, but the taste would differ slightly.
- Measurements are a rough guide. You can adjust as per your preference.
If you tried this recipe, please comment and rate the recipe. Tag me at @cookwithrenu_ad on Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list to get the new recipes straight into your mailbox.