You can jump to the recipe, but you will miss the tips and tricks mentioned in the post
Gajar Aloo Matar Sabji or Carrot, Potato and Peas Vegetable is a simple everyday, quick, vegan, no onion, no garlic dry sabji(Vegetable), which goes as a side with roti or rice.
It is a winter favourite sabji in India as carrots and peas are available fresh. I do not get the dark red carrots here. So I have used the orange one.
Recipes with Carrots
And I love the orange carrots equally. I make this winter’s favourite dessert No Ghee No Mawa, Gajar Halwa with this. Another favourite of mine is a simple party No Onion No Garlic Carrot and Peas Pulao.
Recipe process of Gajar Aloo Matar Sabji
So today’s recipe is quite simple. All I do is a tadka or tempering in asafoetida, cumin and green chillies. To that, I add the veggies along with turmeric, salt and a bit of garam masala.
Store brought asafoetida has wheat in it, so gluten intolerant people can either skip it completely or use the original asafoetida which does not have wheat.
The vegetables are then cooked on the slow stove until done. I like to make such veggies in my cast iron pan as it adds to the taste as well helps in my day to day iron content.
One can use fresh peas or frozen peas in this veggie. I have never used frozen carrots, but I think it will work as well.
Variations to the Sabji
One can add onion and garlic to this sabji and then simply saute it along with spices. One can even add tomatoes to this.
Use of Leftover Sabji
If you have this sabji left then you can mash it finely and make stuffed paratha. At times we make more of this Gajar, Aloo, Matar sabji to make paratha. It does taste delicious so give it a try. The paratha can be enjoyed with simple yoghurt or pickle.
My pics are not that good and might not do justice to the sabji. But I am still sharing this as it was a request from one of my readers. It was requested in my Punjabi Thali post. Here I have shared this Gajar Aloo Matar sabji as part of the thali.
It is a winter favourite sabji in India as carrots and peas are available fresh. I do not get the dark red carrots here. So I have used the orange one available here.
Pin it for Later:
Gajar Aloo Matar Sabji (No Onion No Garlic)
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots cubed
- ½ Cup Green Peas
- 1 small potato cubed – ¼ Cup
- 1 tsp cumin seeds – Jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder – Haldi
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1 green chilly chopped – As per taste
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger/ginger paste
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder – Amchur Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- In a pan add oil.
- Once hot add the asafoetida and cumin seeds
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add green chilli and ginger paste and saute for a few seconds.
- Add carrot, green peas and potato.
- Now add the Turmeric powder, Garam Masala Powder, salt and mix everything.
- Cover and let it cook on slow to medium until the potatoes and the veggies are done.
- Once the veggies are done add the dry mango powder and mix everything and switch off.
- Serve with Roti or Rice
- Standard US Size cups used.
- More or less veggies can be used.
- Store brought asafoetida has wheat in it, so gluten intolerant people can either skip it completely or use the original asafoetida which does not have wheat.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Get our Free Kids Lunch Box Menu Plan (2 Sample Menu + DIY Kit + Recipes)
Let’s be Friends