Vegan Chickpea Tomato Omelette is a quick and Instant Breakfast or a snack recipe made using Chickpea flour, tomato, onion and a few spices.
Made with gluten-free flour Besan aka Chickpea flour it is a protein-rich healthy food that can be packed in your kid’s lunch boxes or made in a jiffy when you have a sudden guest.
I love making this Vegan and Gluten-Free Chickpea Tomato omelette, when I run out of options or when I need to cook something quick.
As a north Indian, I am used to making and cooking Besan chilla which used to be a weekday snack when I was a kid. Surprisingly I do not yet have a recipe on the blog, but you can check out this post to get an idea of different chila recipes.
I first saw this Vegan Chickpea Tomato Omelette when my father in law ordered it in one of the restaurants. He expected a proper omelette with tomato, however, we got this chickpea tomato omelette. Yeah surprising the dish was named Tomato omelette and it did not have any egg in it :-).
The name was misleading, but I loved this vegan version of omelette which does not have any egg in it. I loved the simplicity of the dish. Simple chickpea flour made along with onion, tomato and spices and served with bread. A very popular tomato omelette served in Mumbai restaurants.
Is Besan Chila different from Chickpea Tomato Omelette?
Both are made with gram flour or besan. However, besan chila is plain and without the addition of onion and tomato. Chickpea Tomato omelette has onion and tomato in it.
I have taken this omelette a step further and I do add seasonal green vegetables to make it more nutritious. Very commonly I do add spinach to this omelette. It adds to taste, texture and health.
Besan chila is a very common breakfast or snack recipe enjoyed by the North Indians. Specially made on all festive occasions and is very common during Holi (Indian Festival of colours).
Few more chila or savory pancake recipes on my blog
- Protein-packed Chilla Platter (Savory Crepes)
- Mix Lentils and Beans Chila/Dosa/Pancake
- Oats Vegetable Chila (Savory PanCake)
- Sprouted Moong chila ( Savory Pancake )
- Sabudana Pancake | Thalipeeth | Fritters | Chila
- Mung Sprouts & Methi Chila (PanCake), with Cabbage & Paneer Stuffing
- Oats and Green Dal Chila (Pan Cake)
- Moong Dal Chilla (Savory Yellow & Green Moong Dal Crepes)
- Chilka Roti (Lentil & Rice Crepes)
Vegan Chickpea Tomato Omelette
- 2 cup Besan -Chickpea flour/ gram flour
- 1 small Onion chopped -Optional
- 1 big Tomato or 2 small chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped -Optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilly powder -as per taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of Roasted Cumin powder
- salt as per taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- Sift the flour.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and give it a quick stir.
- Prepare the batter with water. The batter should not be too watery and not too thick. Dropping consistency.
- Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes. This helps the gram flour to hydrate.
- Heat a non-stick pan or a cast iron Tawa. Apply a little bit of oil to the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, Spread a spoon full of batter on the pan. Spread it in the shape of a dosa. Thickness may vary as per your needs. I do not make it thin and not too thick.
- Cover and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once you see the top is cooked, the raw besan is no longer seen, drizzle 3-4 drops of oil on the side and on the top.
- Flip and let it cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Yummy Vegan chickpea Tomato Omelette is ready. Serve it with tomato ketchup or Coriander Chutney and Imli ki Chutney(Sweet & Sour Tamarind Chutney)
- With the same batter, one can make Bread Pakoda. Check out the recipe for Non-Fried Bread Pakoda here.
- The same batter I have added some Palak(Spinach) and it came out lovely, see the picture below. I just added a handful of palak leaves in this.
- I lost my step by step pics, so will update it next time
This post first appeared on my blog on February 20, 2018. Today, 5th September 2021 I am updating the contents and pics with more details.
Love to read your comments and feedback. If you have any questions please ask in the comment section. I will try to answer as soon as I can.
If you tried this recipe, please comment below and do not forget to rate the Recipe.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get the new recipes straight in your mailbox.
Let’s be Friends
Linking this with
Linking this withRecipes with Chickpea Flour
- Onion Pakoda/Bhajiyas by Sneha’s Recipe
- Spiced Chickpea Flour Gnocchi with Coconut Spinach Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Tawa Bread Pakora by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Vegan Chickpea Tomato Omelette by Cook with Renu
- Zucchini Fritters by A Day in the Life on the Farm