Tomato Omelette / Besan Chila (PanCake)
Last updated on July 25, 2018
Besan(Gram Flour) a versatile flour made of Chanadal (a type of Chickpea) has many health benefits to it. Due to it’s high protein content it can be easily consumed by vegetarians. A commonly used flour in India for pakoda’s and also well know to use as face pack to remove tan and to lighten the skin. The main benefit I see today is it is Gluten free, so people who are looking for gluten free substitutes can use Besan.
Besan Chila or Tomato Omelette or whatever you call it is very healthy in itself and can be enjoyed as Breakfast or as main meals. At my mom’s place this are made very thin and crisp and served with coriander chutney. I add some tomatoes and onions to it to make it in the form of omelette, I like it the way it is served in restaurants along with a slice of bread. But now being health conscious I avoid bread whenever I can :-(, so the below pic is minus the bread :-)).
Besan chila’s are also very commonly made during Holi (Indian Festival of colours), specially with the North Indian’s. Enjoy it with Spicy Coriander Chutney and Imli ki Chutney(Sweet & Sour Tamarind Chutney)
Here goes the recipe:
- 2 Cup Besan (Chickpea flour)
- 1 small Onion chopped (Optional)
- 1 big Tomato or 2 small chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilly powder (as per taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of Roasted Cumin powder
- salt as per taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and give it a quick stir.
- Prepare the batter with water. The mix should not be too watery and not too thick.
- Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes. The besan will soak the water.
- Heat a non-stick pan or tawa. Apply a little bit of oil on the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, Spread a spoon full of batter on the pan. Spread it in the shape of a dosa. Thickness may vary as per your needs. I do not make it thin and not too thick.
- Cover and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once you see the top being cooked, the raw besan is no longer seen, drizzle 3-4 drops of oil on the side and on the top.
- Flip and let it cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Yummy and hot Tomato Omelette is ready. Serve it with tomato ketchup.
- With the same batter, one can make Bread Pakoda. Check out the recipe for Non Fried Bread Pakoda here.
- The same batter I have added some Palak(Spinach) and it came out lovely, see the picture below. Let me know if you need the recipe with Palak(Spinach)
Love to read your comments and feedback.
Do not want to miss a post , subscribe to my email list.
Follow us on social networking sites by simply clicking on one of the follow up buttons on the top.
Sharing is Caring, Click one of the Social networking buttons to share this recipe.